Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Spirit of the Marathon

I just downloaded Netflix on our PS3 and feel like a kid in a candy store. I'll never have to go to rent movies from Blockbuster and the Redbox again! Yay. I scanned through as many categoeis as i possibly could be for I sttled on a solo movie night since the boys went out.

1st on my list was "Spirit of the Marathon" I heard so much about this movie and couldn't wait to watch it. I dont think many people understand the courage and spirit someone has to have to complete this incredibly crazy endurnace event. You start one person and finish a completely changed different person.
Watching a little bit about the history of women in the marathon was so amazing. Katherine Switzer was the first woman to run a marathon, and entered the race under K. Switzer in order to get a bib. The film showed still shots of Katherine Switzer almost being pulled out of the 1967 Boston Marathon by a race organizer were so emotional. She able to complete the race when her supporter and boyfriend and other male supporters help "safegaurd" Switzer. The fact that she didnt give up was so inspiring. Spitzer paved the way for some of the most amazing, strong long distance female atheltes like Paula Radcliffe, Deena Kastor, Kara Goucher.
I got choked up several times watching the runners thinking, Hey that happened to me. I felt like that. The internal battle Of, you can't do this/ YES, I can. I know I look like a train hit me and I am still going. Can I just crawl across the finish line. And that final surge of energy that comes from nowhere when you realize that this going to happen. I am going to cross that line and have a life altering experience.

Ladies, get out there, get running, sign up for a marathon, its because of her tenacity and perservence that it is possible for you to tackle that 26.2 miles.

"The Triump over the adversity, that is what the marathon is about"-K. Switzer

No comments:

Post a Comment