Thursday, December 23, 2010

2011 Race Schedule...

I am a neurotic planner by nature. I have this thing about planning big, medium, and small events in advance because I just like to know what to expect. Especially when it comes to the massive work I am planning to demand from my body this year I have to have a plan.
I have totally been bit by the running bug. The Long Distance running bug that is. I have convinced my good friend Kayla to train with me, so we can both run out first 1/2 marathon. I am so excited to be doing this with a friend. It is so much fun and great motivation to train with a buddy. I decided to run 26.2 for my first long race like a mad woman, now I get to work backwards.

So I this is what my calender looks like so far. I'll spice in some shorter distances throughout the year.

2011 Half and Full Marathon Schedule

  • BorderFest Half Marathon in Mcallen, Texas on March 6th, 2011. It is supposed to be similar to the Rock N Roll Series with local bands playing along the course but on a smaller scale. I love the fact that it is close to home. The entry isn't super expensive and I don't need to get a hotel or drive far to race.
  • Zooma Women's Half Marathon in Austin, Texas on April 16th 2011. Dubbed a women's weekend race offering a post race expo with champagne, massages, and shopping. A little on the pricey side as the race will be held at the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort. Its best that you stay at the resort or risk missing race start time. :/ On the bright side the hotel looks GORGEOUS!
  • Frankenthon Monster Marathon in Cedar Park, Texas in October date not yet set. Small race, no expo but it looks like a good race to do. The course is a 3 loop 8.75 mile course, which for some maybe tedious and boring but I like the fact that breaks up the race into a more mentally managable distance. Also if you have friends and family who plan to come and cheer you on they can see you a several points during the race unlike at BIG events.
  • Rock N Roll Marathon San Antonio in (duh) San Antonio, Texas on November 13, 2011. I had such a good time at this race last year. I just hope I dont hit the wall again as hard as I did before. It was a horrible mile 22-24. But the atmosphere, the people, the event and volunteers were awesome. Must register early and on a savings day!
  • Fiesta Marathon in Mcallen, Texas in December. Hometown Marathon, Flat Course, Familiar Route. It should be a good race and I'll have a chance to meander my way around the expo. yay.
If my parents are still living in Virgina I would hope to run The North Face Edurance Trail Marathon in Washington D.C. I think it would be so awesome to truely get out and be one with nature in the woods. That would be bliss.

I knew when I started running when I was younger my parents would foot the bill for my escapades, shoes, clothes, race entries. Now, its all on me. I've got to be smart, register with plenty of time and take advantage of the savings, shop around for as many deals as I can find on my must have items.

Maybe after running a half, that nice bug will chomp on my friend Kayla and she'll run a want to run a marathon with me. YES. Kayla, I am calling you out. We'll see how she feels after our half, maybe I'll ask her in her post race delirium when you say yes to anything because you think its food.

What half and full marathons are on your schedule this coming year???

No comments:

Post a Comment