Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Runner's Tip #2: High Visibility

Be Seen!!!!!!!

Oh My Goodness. I can't tell you how important it is to be a visible runner. I should start counting how many times I see runners and walkers in the early morning and after sunset out and about in black, grey and dark colors! If you do this you are just asking to get HIT!

As a force of habit. I go for high visiblity.

I currently wear:

Ankle reflectors

Our xcountry coach in high school made us wear these ungodly thing on our early morning runs and they saved us. We played around with them of course wearing them as head bands and arm bands doing everything but wearing them the way were supposed to. I invested in a cheap pair of ankle reflectors from Academy for about $5. REI has some great reflectors you can purchase for just about the same amount.

Hat/Visor with Reflective Strips.

I am now obsessed with wearing hats when I run. At first, I wore one because my hair was too short to fit snugly in my ponytail and I would look like a beast by the end of my run, so I would cover it up and pull my ponytail through the hole in the back. Now that my hair is much longer, I still wear the hat. I feel naked without it. That reflective material will signal to drivers that someone is out there. This Adidas Women's Marathon hat has the reflective strips on the bill and is made of moisture wicking material. I own this one in White and Grey about $16.95 from Running Warehouse

White workout tops.
I will scrounge around my dresser looking for anything light colored when I intend to workout outdoors. Friends, believe me when I say it's great to look cute when you workout but be smart about it. There are countless times when I have had near misses with pedestrians who were not being wise about thier apparel and accessory choices. Under Armour has some great light colored tech long sleeves about $23

I am going to buy:

A head lamp Since the fall time change, my running days are getting shorter and shorter. I have small window from about 5:15-6:45 to get my miles in before it is almost black as pitch. I hope getting a head lamp will light my way and keep me in the sight of drivers and give me more time outdoors. I like this one from Black Diamons about $19. from Running Warehouse

I hope these tips inspire you to take a look at your running gear and maybe update it, add some cute things but also things that will save your life!

Do you have any high visibilty products you love or things that keep you safe?
Leave a comment and share!

Happy Running Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment