Monday, November 29, 2010

Runner's Tip #1 What side of the road do I run on ?

Man, I have struggled with this question for the longest time!

Q: What side of the road do you run on?

A: You should go against traffic. Basically you are running on the left side of the road, so the cars are coming toward you. The idea is that you see they cars, they hopefully see you and drift toward the centerline. They usually do. This is the safer alternative to running on the right side where the traffic is coming toward your back and if your like most people you run with headphones, you may not beware of who or what is coming up behind you.Please, please run on the left side of the road and (a word from yo mama) always look before crossing the street.

During our crazy training season, my running buddy Ashley and I would constantly get honked at and nearly got clipped a couple of times during our dark as crap early morning runs. Now when I say early, I mean, there a people who just left the after party (4 am) and are making their way into their comfy cozy warm beds.

We would have long talks during our 5 am - 16, 18 20 mile runs about how the roads are so unfriendly to runners/walkers and cyclists. They (drivers) tend to give you the "What the Hell are you doing in the road?!" look and you are thinking "I'd like to see you get your butt of the car and try doing this!" But of course all you can do is move as far to the side as possible and hope they scoot thier massive vehicle the opposite way as well.
So those of you runners, walkers and fitness friends. Keep an eye out on the road, always beware of your surroundings, and dont take chances.
On a brighter note, I've convinced some friends to "drink the juice" and we'll be training to run the Zooma Women's Half Marathon Austin in April!
I think we'll call our "team" Sole Sisters! What do you think? Cheesy, Cute, Cliche?
Sound off. Give me some suggestions or ask any questions you want some answers to or things you would like my opinion on.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment